Monday, July 20, 2009

Mission Statement

In a recent inquiry I stumbled upon a thought that I have always been thinking, but never knew how to phrase. Heisenberg, in "Philosophy and Physics", reminds us that in all modern physics we speak with two languages: the former, is the classical language [though, he refers more to the crystallization of physics terminology with Newton], and the latter, the language used to describe newly discovered phenomena. While he describes in more in depth the need for these two languages, he speaks of the latter with strange distinctions. The modern language in physics was born when the laws of mechanics could no longer explain all of the phenomena physics interpreted, such as magnetism. These new phenomena, while borrowing terms from the classical model, were essentially different, but described in classical terminology as best as possible. Furthermore, and the most vital of Heisenberg's critiques, the new phenomena were not completely reconcilable with one another (though, Heisenberg, when speaking of the ancient idea of "Unity", affirms that he believes a "One" underlies the presently irreconcilable physics). Heisenberg defends this conversational physics with his description of the observer. He repeats throughout that changes in the observer change the way in which we interrogate the object of study. Thus, we should use our classical language in order to understand the "world" or that which is not the object of our investigation, and the new language to encounter our object. 
This is an onerous task to say the least. Nevertheless, Heisenberg's theory led me to a tangential thought, the one unearthed and newly phrased with the help of Heisenberg's book. As I change, so too will my language change. As I learn more, so will the way I seek to interrogate my learning be crystallized. Yet, I must keep in mind the ultimate pursuit, which is the object itself. Much of my philosophy tells me there is no object itself, but I am still in pursuit, afraid of my own reason. 
This leads me to the specific nature of this blog. Throughout my life, I have studied two classical languages, and many romance (hopefully this year I will make a successful foray into German), and Russian. Most of these pursuits have been failures, or have filled me with the most elementary ideas of the languages I attempted to comprehend. In this blog, I will post translations that I am working on, either in my free time, or with peers. I will do my best to cite any referential texts as I translate. I do ask that those who read, and comment, on this blog aid me in my learning. At times, I will translate Plato, or Plotinus, Aeschylus, or Ovid, or Pascal or Heidegger. I will add some of my thoughts and difficulties with those passages. Further, I will add my questions and I will share the logical stumblings, into which I tend to fall. I guess I ask that you correct me when I err. I usually have crazy theories about the meanings within works. Be generous with my pretensions and my precocious tendencies. Hopefully some good stuff with turn out. Thank you. 

p.s. Sorry for the over literal translations.   

No comments:

Post a Comment